Monday, April 17, 2006

The Family Circle Cup

What can I say...10 hours a day...10 days straight...10,000 images! I just get such an adrenaline rush out of covering the Family Circle Cup each year. I don't know if it would be as exciting if I wasn't a tennis player. But I relish the opportunity to challenge myself and stretch my photographic capabilities. As the final Tier 1 event played on clay before the French Open, all the top players are there. In like fashion, all the top sports photographers are drawn like bees to a beehive. The media tent is a constant buzz of activity. Photographers and writers are rushing from one match to the next, trying to stay on the edge of the latest developments...an upset of a big star, a rising new talent, an emotional meltdown, a fist-pumping moment of triumph. As the Official Photographer of the tournament, it's my job to provide the most comprehensive coverage possible. On top of all the court action, I get to cover exclusive, behind-the-scenes events that most of the media doesn't even know about...the player's ice-cream social...the baby shower for Jennifer Russell (one of the players who just found out she's pregnant and will be retiring after this tournament)...the Meredith Inspiration Award with Mary Pierce...the Lacoste fashion show with Natalie Dechy and Luke Jensen...the Player's Party at Saks Fifth Avenue where the players trade in their sports clothes for fashion outfits and their competitive spirits for camaraderie and friendship. All in all, it's a CRAZY hectic week, but I love it! You can see more of my photos and purchase your tickets for next year's tournament at www.familycirclecup.com.

No comments: