Sunday, April 15, 2007

A New Queen is Crowned

After a week of intense competition, a new queen has been crowned the Family Circle Cup Champion! Overcoming gail force winds as a storm front passed through Charleston on the day of the finals, Jelena Jankovic (SRB) defeated Dinara Safina (RUS) 62, 62. "It was really windy and tough circumstances," Jelena said. "But I gave my best, and I'm the champion. I'm so happy I won this title. It's my first Tier I title. It's a really amazing feeling." Only a year ago, Jelena was struggling and in a bit of a slump. "Some things are meant to happen for a reason. Maybe if those things didn't happen I wouldn't be here. That period made me a lot stronger and now I realize some things and values. Now, I appreciate my results a little more; I appreciate things a lot more than before." This win puts an exclamation mark on her climb back to the Top 10 over the past year. It gives her an all-time highest ranking of #7 in the world. She says her goal is to crack the Top 5! A gracious winner, Jelena agreed to pose in front of the live oaks on the beautiful Family Circle Cup campus for one last photo before heading out to celebrate her victory!

No comments: