Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rape Victims in DRC

My heart was too sad to even weep as I spent the first hour of my day reading the journal entries from photographer Sherrlyn Borkgren on her Blog about her last few weeks in the Congo (DRC) documenting and bringing light to the plight of young girls being raped by soldiers over there. As you all know, this is where Mom & Dad served as missionaries, where I was born, and where my brothers and I called home throughout our formative years before settling back in the US to attend college. Please read her stories and see her images at http://lovesimplyhappens.blogspot.com/. Pray for her safety and that the story she is telling helps get the world's attention.

Here's an old slide of me with all my soccer friends. (I'll bet you can figure out which one I am!) Soccer is the national sport of course...you don't need shoulder pads, baseball bats, or tennis rackets to play. Just one ball, a grassy field, and a couple sticks in the ground at each end. In fact you can't see it in this photo, but we played in our bare feet because no one could afford cleats. I wonder what happened to all these guys when the war broke out?

3 comments:

love said...

WOW Chris your parents were missionaries in Congo! Amazing. The Congolese people are incredible survivors. Did you know that I won this trip to the Congo through Rachel Lacour and Andrew Niessen of Lacour Photography?
I am editing photos now from the E. Congo for publication. Thank YOU so much for your prayers and support. Please continue to pray for little Belice and her village in the midst of the war. Her village is taken over by CNDP rebels.
God's peace be with you. Hey nice photography by the way!

Chris said...

Hi Sherrlyn! How very kind of you to stop by our Blog. Thank you for the kind words. We will continue to pray for you, Belice, and the situation in Congo.

Anonymous said...

hey- groovy shorts! You blend right in!